J-Say 16 is Released!
Page down four times for version 16 specific information.
What is J-Say ?
J-Say is the world leader in providing a blind person with the ability to control the computer with the human voice.
J-Say brings together Dragon professional from Nuance, and JAWS For Windows from Freedom Scientific. However although the product integrates these applications, it also presents the User with an easy to understand interface enabling interaction with the computer using natural language and easy to remember and understand vocabulary.
That's Good Terminology, But What Does it Actually Mean?
It's quite simple. You can talk to the computer and it talks back to you. You can control most aspects of the computer just by using your voice, so J-Say is ideal for anyone who cannot (or does not want to use) the keyboard. See J-Say in Action or Hear Our Audio Podcast!
Who can use it?
As the product has evolved the range of people who are benefiting from the
technology has increased. From people who simply want to be more productive
and use their voice as an additional means of computer input and control, to
individuals who have complex combinations of needs, and who find it difficult
if not impossible to make use of computer technology using traditionally
accepted methods of input access and control.
Even more remarkably many people interacting with this technology do not
have a visual impairment simply finding it difficult or uncomfortable to use
the computer screen and so find the J-Say approach more suited to their
Can I Not Use Dragon and JAWS for Windows Without J-Say?
Please do try it. We would really like you to! Remember, do not touch the computer keyboard. Within a minute or two, you will soon discover it is an extremely frustrating experience.
In addition to our amazing J-Say features listed below, the product gives you:
- Complete echo back of your dictation. This is essential so that, as a screen-reader user, you understand that the text you have dictated is accurately reproduced.
- Complete voice access to all of the JAWS screen-reading functions.
- Many features which have been specially designed for blind people who use voice recognition technology. With 12 years of experience working with individuals who cannot use the keyboard, we truly understand the features people need to ensure they are productive and not frustrated when using the computer in this way. Many of our productivity features go way beyond those which Dragon offers to the sighted user.
- Online help which fully explains how a blind person can independently install and use the software without sighted assistance. Our extremely comprehensive tutorial is designed with blind people in mind, and spoken context sensitive guidance is given in many areas of the program.
What applications does J-Say work with?
J-Say provides access to applications which reflect the three most
common things which people need to do with computers on a day-to-day basis.
Complete access to this application is made possible enabling people,
without having to touch the keyboard or look at the screen, to create
documents, control text layout, fill in forms and other complex documents, and
open/save files, amongst other things.
If you need to word process, doing it the J-Say way takes away the need to
use either one's hands or one's eyes, do it all controlling the application
with your voice and accessing the computer screen with your ears.
If you need to work with e-mail, then J-Say Pro provides you with a set of
tools to enable you to take complete control of anything e-mail related.
From creating messages to Email navigation, moving and copying messages to
folders, to keeping track of your schedule through the Outlook calendar. Our
user interface to Microsoft Outlook provides the user with fast, efficient and
effective access and control to all aspects of the application.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
J-Say Pro technology provides intuitive access to all aspects of internet
navigation and control. From the finding, launching and browsing of WebPages,
to the completion of web forms such as searches and shopping carts, J-Say
provides the user with natural language internet access like never before.
What Else Can I Expect from J-Say?
- Dictate text in a natural way and have it instantly echoed back to you.
- Rapidly move through list items, words, lines, sentences and paragraphs and have the selected unit spoken back. No need to wait until JAWS has finished reciting the text, just speak the next command.
- Use natural language commands to gain access to the many features of JAWS for Windows. For example, say the words "Be Quiet" to instantly silence the speech synthesiser, or "talk faster" and "talk slower" to change the rate of the speech.
- Create J-Say Text Notes which can reproduce lengthy text passages (such as twenty paragraphs) with a single voice command.
- Easily work with files using Microsoft Windows Explorer and J-Say Tags. Files and folders can be marked for cutting, copying or deleting.
- Use the J-Say Clock to set countup and countdown timers and alarms, or hear Westminster Chimes throughout the day.
- Keep track of appointments with J-Say Diary.
- Move directly to specific sections of web pages with J-Say Alerts.
- Listen to the radio, audio files or CD's and control playback from within any program.
- Dictate text into a portable recorder and have the audio transcribed as text with J-Say Audio Transcription support.
- Take control of your Braille display. It is no longer necessary to remember the key combinations to control the Braille output. These commands will also prove to be a tremendous advantage to people who can read Braille, but who do not have the dexterity necessary to press buttons or keys on the unit.
- Execute many commonly used procedures within the WINDOWS operating system with voice commands. Good examples would be to move directly to the WINDOWS
Desktop or to maximize the application and document windows, so that the program fills the entire screen.
- Teach the software how you pronounce words and phrases with our interface which allows you to easily add them to the vocabulary. Our special utility can also be used by sighted assistants if necessary. Alternatively, use the superb access to the Dragon Professional correction system.
- The J-Say Configuration Wizard lets you take control of all the product's special functions without the need to remember a number of voice commands.
- Move through tables easily either within Internet Explorer or Microsoft Word. Again, the navigation language is simple to learn with no complications.
- Use our slick Back-Up and restore utilities to make a permanent copy of your speech files and restore them at a later date if necessary.
Further Information about J-Say
Assuming a level of installation and training is purchased, J-Say can
be easily configured to allow a physically disabled and visually impaired
person to independently carry out tasks such as dialing telephone numbers,
through to using software-based DVD and DAISY talking book players. J-Say Pro
can also be customized to perform optimally with applications used in the
You may also care to Purchase Training from your local J-Say Distributor.
It is important that the computer on which J-Say and associated products are to be installed conforms to the following minimum specification.
Computer Specifications and Software Requirements - What You Need to Know!
Please read this section carefully!
It is important that the computer on which J-Say and associated products are to be installed conforms to the following minimum specification, and that the software requirements are met.
- Intel core i3, 5, or 7, 2.2Ghz or higher processor. Faster is always better!
- 4GB of RAM.
- 16-Bit 'on board' sound card (Full duplex) or preferably a compatible USB Digital Sound Converter.
- All releases of Microsoft Windows7, Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows 10.
- Microsoft Office 2007 through 2016. Microsoft Office 2013 and 2016 are highly recommended!
- JAWS for Windows version 14 through JAWS 2018
- Dragon Professional version 12,12.5, 13.0, 14.0 or 15.0. if you are using Microsoft Office 2016/365, Dragon Professional Individual V15 is very strongly recommended. Within the United States, please Contact Us! by Email or telephone for pricing details!
- A high quality headset/microphone. Please Contact Us! by Email or telephone for microphone recommendations.
- Optionally, a high quality portable digital recorder for audio transcription. Please Contact Us! by Email or telephone to discuss which voice recorder would be suitable!
About the J-Say User Guide
The J-Say User Guide comprises three Books. The first Book consists of the "Installation Guide", which gives you step by step detail on how to install your J-Say product. It goes onto describe the voice training enrollment process and how to configure the Windows operating system, associated applications and the J-Say software to perform optimally. Finally, the "Installation Guide" discusses the hardware and software which should be used to ensure you can get the most from the J-Say interface, all using non-technical language where possible and delivered from the perspective of visually impaired people wishing to install the product.
The second volume consists of a J-Say tutorial or "Learning Module". The tutorial teaches you how to use J-Say with its many features, how you can work with non-supported applications and how you can educate the software to learn how you pronounce words and phrases. Again, the language used is not technical, delivered using step-by-step instructions.
The third book is the Command Summary which lists every voice command which can be spoken.
Please Read a Sample of the User Guide!
Subscribing to the J-Say Mailing List
An E-Mail list has been established to discuss all aspects of the J-Say product line. In particular, it can be used as a vehicle for product suggestions or for gaining assistance from other J-Say users. Feel free to Subscribe to the mailing list!
An upgrade from all previous versions to J-Say 16.0 is priced at $135. Please call 1-888-641-6776 ext. 1 to order.
A J-Say Software Maintenance Agreement, (which entitles you to receive the next two paid-for upgrades at a discount price), is $187. Please call 1-888-641-6776 ext. 1 for more information or to order.
J-Say 16.0 Upgrade!
Enhanced Accessibility for Dragon Search Commands. Say, "Search Computer for Timesheets" for example, or, "Search Favourites for BBC Radio". In summary, you can search your Favourites, documents or computer files under key words, and a list of these will be brought back to you. Naturally, J-Say makes the interaction with this interface user friendly, supported by our documentation and the modifications made to JAWS to keep it simple.
Please refer to Chapter 30 of the Learning Module.
Store Shortcut and List of Shortcuts. These can now be accessed directly rather than through the Shortcuts Manager by pressing the J-Say Key then ALT+S for Store Shortcut and ALT+L for List of Shortcuts.
J-Say Shortcuts on the Web. If you create a J-Say Shortcut to a website, the browser of choice is stored along with the location. There are times when people wish to use specific browsers for individual sites they visit, and this will help in that regard.
Internet Explorer is still highly recommended with Google Chrome as a close second.
Support for Google Chrome. This web browser is now a good option to use with J-Say alongside Internet Explorer.
Improved Support for Moving by Heading and Tabbed Pages. Say “Tab 1” through to “Tab 9” to access Tabs directly, or “Next Tab” and “Previous Tab” to move through them sequentially.
The commands to move to the first, next, last and previous headings at specific levels have been enhanced so as to provide a greater level of verbal feedback, for example if a requested heading is unavailable, or the current line which has been reached. Commands also exist to move to individual Tabs which may be open.
A good example of such a command would be “First Heading 1” to move to the first level 1 Heading.
Get the Weather and News. Specifically designed applications have been included to obtain local weather for anywhere in the world, together with local time zone information, and sunrise, sunset, moon rise and moon set. Simply ask your computer to bring back the weather for your town. Additionally, browse over 30 news sources for the latest headlines, including BBC and CNN. The news range of news sources will be considerably increased during the first half of this year.
Please refer to Chapter 30 of the Learning Module.
Support for JAWS 2018 Features. Scan a document with a voice command directly from within JAWS without using an external scanning program. This can be done using a camera or flatbed scanner with the command “Scan Document”. You can also operate the new screen-shading feature in JAWS, allowing you to work without displaying your computer generated text to sighted people who may be with you. Say “Toggle Screen Shade”.
Listen to the Radio. The radio directory has been increased to include thousands of online radio stations, thanks to support from the Shoutcast radio directory. Browse categories by voice or request a specific station.
Please refer to Chapter 26 of the Learning Module.
Enhanced Support for Excel and Word tables. The commands for moving through cells in an Excel Workbook have been significantly improved upon. The behaviour in respect of some voice commands to move by rows in tables has also been made more consistent.
J-Say 16.0 coexists with:
- Microsoft Windows7,
- Microsoft Windows8 and 8.1,
- Microsoft Windows10,
- Microsoft Office 2010 through to 2016 (Microsoft Office 2013 and 2016 are highly recommended),
- JAWS for Windows versions 14 through to 2018,
- Zoomtext Fusion with JAWS for Windows,
- Dragon NaturallySpeaking Professional version 13, 14 and 15. If you are still running Dragon NaturallySpeaking Professional version 12.5, we can make an installer of J-Say available for you. However, particularly with updates to Microsoft Office and Windows versions, this is not recommended. Indeed, if you are using Microsoft Office 2016/365, Dragon Professional Individual V15 is very strongly recommended.
Instructions for Upgrading
When you purchased J-Say 16.0, you will have received an Email containing details of how to download and install the product.
If you think you may be entitled to a free upgrade, (either because you purchased the product after October 2017 or because you hold a current Software Maintenance Agreement), you will need to send your JAWS serial number to firstname.lastname@example.org , whereupon we will get you up and running.
If you need remote assistance with the installation or configuration, again, please send this request to us so as to book an appointment.
If you would like to submit a bug report, again please let us know by email. We will aim to respond to such requests as early as possible, however given we have extensive commitments in January and February, do bare in mind that what we consider to be the most urgent bug reports will be treated as higher priority.
The documentation is available to you when you install the product by saying
Or by locating it from the J-Say Configuration Wizard.
You do not need to uninstall the previous version of J-Say, 15.1, before installing the new version. Please just follow these instructions.
- 1. Be sure that the computer to host J-Say technology has an active connection to the internet.
- 2. Log onto the Windows account of the person to be using J-Say. Be sure that the user’s account contains “Administrator Privileges”. Please note that logging onto the Windows account of the person using the technology is a critical step. Many people are not doing this.
- 3. Download the J-Say 16.0 program, a link for which will have been provided within an Email message following the purchase of a licence. If you have not received such an Email, please send your JAWS serial number to email@example.com. Be sure to choose to download the program pertaining to your version of Dragon NaturallySpeaking.
- 4. Run the J-Say 16.0 installer program, restarting the computer when prompted. This is a new installer to take account of JAWS 2018 and the new VFO naming conventions for JAWS, but we’re pretty confident it works well.
- 5. Wait for approximately one minute after Microsoft Windows has fully loaded. If an activation file is found, it will be downloaded to the computer and you will be prompted to restart JAWS. Please select the “Yes” Button to comply with this request.